THE STEM ACADEMY
What is a STEM student?
STEM students find solving problems, designing new things, and working with science and technology to be the most interesting parts of the school day. Some STEM students want to be teachers, engineers, doctors, nurses, computer programmers, physical therapists, or technicians. Many want to work in construction, weld, operate equipment or simply "figure out how things work." What else do STEM students love to do? Learn, discover, and SO MUCH MORE.
What is the STEM Academy?
The STEM Academy is students who have come together for enrichment opportunities such as field trips, clubs, interesting courses, and college dual enrollment credits. STEM meet to enjoy listening to speakers and doing fun activities. With the help of the STEM teachers, students stay on track academically and are helped with college/career planning.
Why join the STEM Academy?
Fun and learning! Getting involved is the best way to be successful. Also, your participation is recorded on your transcript and you will be recognized at graduation.
If you join the STEM Academy, you will ...
• Be part of a small learning community with other students with similar interests and goals
• Be invited to hear knowledgeable guest speakers from a wide range of industries
• Have opportunities to explore career planning and goal setting
• Have priority when signing up for STEM courses
STEM Academy Meetings 2020/2021:
Block six (1:50 pm- 2:30 pm) on scheduled Wednesday afternoons: all meetings in the auditorium unless indicated otherwise (some meetings also have a virtual option)
· October 7th- Welcome meeting, ideas for the year, give out new t-shirts, initiate STEM accountability form on Google Classroom, discuss optional STEM webinars
· November 4th- Guest speaker, Angie Williams, Vermont Student Assistance Corporation. Topic: College preparedness, early college, scholarship application process
· December 16th: Virtual Guest Speaker Ryan Ward from Green Mountain Electric Supply talking about Renewable Energy Careers and Solar power
-January 13th: In room 380 or virtual option: virtual guest speaker Sgt. Nick Pack from the NH Air National Guard presenting information about STEM careers in the military and detailed overview of the mechanics of airplane propulsion
-February 10th: Group photo for yearbook, virtual guest speaker Sydney Whipple, engineering graduate discussing his education and career at Ben & Jerry's Ice Cream
March meeting date and topic TBD
April meeting date and topic TBD
May meeting date TBD: wrap up meeting, submit accountability forms, celebrate graduating seniors
Dual Enrollment Courses·
· Probability and Statistics - Statistics course through Vermont Technical College (VTC)
· AP Statistics - Statistics course through Vermont Technical College (VTC)
· AP Chemistry - Chemistry course through Vermont Technical College (VTC)
· Senior English Seminar (STEM & ACA combined) - Community College of Vermont (CCV)
-Introduction to Healthcare- CCV
· Human Biology- CCV
· Human Growth and Development- VTC
· Medical Terminology- CCV
And many more dual enrollment opportunities through our Career Center Programs!
Field Trips/ Enrichment Opportunities
Currently on hold due to COVID restrictions. However, all virtual field trip and community service opportunities will be shared and updated with STEM students by way of school e-mail and the STEM Google Classroom page
Questions?? E-mail Katherine.email@example.com or Hazen.firstname.lastname@example.org or come see either of us in person at the Career Center!